Cal Poly SWEmail
July 19, 2011
If you would like to be removed from the SWEmail mailing list, please contact Katie Zombro at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In this issue:
· Big Sibling Program Registration
· SWE Membership Renewal
· Week of Welcome Volunteers Needed
· Job Opportunity: Zuodao.com
Big Sibling Registration Deadline: July 31, 2011
Big Sibling Program Registration
Hey Cal Poly SWE,
Hope everyone is having a great summer thus far! I am emailing to ask everyone to please consider becoming a Big Sibling in our Big Sibling/Little Sibling Program! This program requires very little time commitment and has been a lot of fun in the past. During the first week of August, we will pair you up with an incoming freshman or transfer female engineering student who is preferably in your major. Throughout the year, you will be their "Big Sibling" sending them encouraging emails at times, like before finals and giving them advice if they ask questions. There will also be a couple of fun sibling outings that we will plan, and you can also plan some of your own with them.
Please consider helping out SWE and the incoming female students in your major!
All we need from you right now is your name, email address, phone number and major. You can also tell us some of your hobbies if you would like!
Please respond by Sunday, July 31st if you would like to be involved.
We will be in contact with you as the summer progresses. Big Sibling/Little Sibling pairings will be made during the first week of August and we will also send out a design for an optional T-shirt that can be purchased!
Thank you for your help!
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
Industrial Engineering Undergraduate Student
Society of Women Engineers, Collegiate Section Freshman Involvement Coordinator
SWE Membership Renewal
Week of Welcome (WOW) Volunteers Needed
Interested in recruiting future Cal Poly SWE members? Opportunities to volunteer include:
· Speaking to freshman via Department Meetings
· Club Showcase Booth
Job Opportunity: Zuodao.com
Sam Li (CSC '09) and his friends are working on a Valley-styled startup based in Beijing, China. He's looking for someone from Cal Poly who has a passion for development and wants to do something adventurous to join the core team there.
Zuodao.com is a collaborative crowdsourcing start-up that aims to change the way work is done in China. The founders are at the crossroad between liberal arts and engineering, and they want to build an innovative platform product with a social impact.
If you're a team player who wants to leave your mark in the new Wild West: China, get in touch with him! You can reach him at email@example.com
• Work with teammates to build products that will positively impact the world
• Build efficient and reusable front-end systems
• Identify and address performance bottlenecks
• Participate in design and code reviews
• Interact with other team members to incorporate their innovations and vice versa
• Identify and communicate best practices for web development
• Expert knowledge of web technologies (HTML/CSS/JS)
• Experience with PHP
• Extremely detail oriented. Strives for pixel perfect implementation in all browsers
• Unmistakable passion for elegant and intuitive user interfaces
• Ability to write well-abstracted, reusable code for UI components
• Passion for performance debugging and benchmarking
• Must be willing to show portfolio of work
• Experience with CodeIgniter
• Experience with Agile methodologies
• Relevant experience includes self-started personal projects